APIO meeting on 26 July 2011 at IOI 2011 in Pattaya, Thailand
Meeting opened at 9:25am.
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Sri Lanka
The meeting was chaired by Mohammad Safari from Iran.
- Iran reported on APIO 2011:
- Thanks to all 17 delegations who participated.
- There were 456 contestants, of which 85 scored more than zero.
- 7 gold medals, 14 silver medals and 21 bronze medals were awarded.
- Iran wishes to formalise the task selection process:
- This year there were 3 hard problems and 3 easy problems on the
shortlist. Using a simple voting system, the 3 hard problems were selected.
- It was proposed that the host delegation should have more discretion
over the task selection in order to choose a more balanced task set.
- It was also proposed that an equivalent to the IOI's ISC should be
consulted in the selection. This APIO international scientific
committee will consist of hosts from APIO n-1, n and n+1.
- Report on APIO 2012:
- Japan proposes to hold APIO 2012 on Saturday 12 May 2012.
- No concerns were raised.
- Report on APIO 2013:
- Singapore volunteered to host APIO 2013. Host of 2013 was uncontested.
- Proposal to publish solutions for APIO tasks online:
- Do we want to have non-standard tasks in the APIO? e.g. interactive tasks?
- Japan is happy to support such tasks in APIO 2012.
- Do we want to have an olympiad where delegations travel to a central
- Iran could not host an on-site contest this year because of issues with
- Vietnam is unable to participate in the APIO because their government
body believes that an online contest is "too informal".
- Indonesia also has this issue, but circumvents it by holding their
training school at the same time as the APIO.
- Japan is unable to host an on-site APIO in 2012.
- Singapore will consider hosting an on-site APIO in 2013.
- Bangladesh points out that on-site contests have visa hazards. APIO would need to be a hybrid on-site and online contest.
- Committee elections:
- As established last year, the APIO committee deals with APIO-related
issues arising during the year (outside the IOI). The committee consists of
hosts of APIO n-1, n and n+1, and two elected members for a term of one
- Indonesia and Australia were elected uncontested for a term of one
year. As past, current and future hosts, Iran, Japan and Singapore are also
Meeting closed at 9:50am.